A Rainbow Tea Party is a celebration of God’s promises to us. Colors are used to symbolize each of these promises. We have lots of ideas for you in planning your Rainbow Tea Party as well as supplies to help make your tea party a fun, successful event!
First, it’s important to understand the significance of each color:
- RED-Christ’s precious blood (the greatest gift)
- WHITE-Christ’s purity / God’s grace
- GREEN-new growth – being reborn as a Christian – renewal
- PURPLE-the royalty of Christ the King; Prince of Peace
- BLUE-dawn of new Day
- YELLOW-Fear – as it relates to the awe of God. Can also represent sunrise / rebirth
- ORANGE - sunset – closure of one day into the next
If it’s for children, there is also a “Jellybean Prayer” that goes along with the colors of the rainbow. The meanings are also Christian, but a little simpler for children to understand.
Decorating your table for a Rainbow Tea Party
You don’t need to spend a lot of money to make your table look great. Use these ideas and add your imagination as you brainstorm with your team.
- Centerpiece - you want height and drama here to draw people to your table. Select a tall vase, jar, garden container or a styrofoam cone as the base. This can even be something your team already has at home. Be creative and think out of the box! Most rainbow tea parties select a winner for the best table, so creativity is key. Fill containers with natural or silk flowers, even tissue paper flowers or bows tied on the ends of chenille sticks work great. Insert your flowers into a styrofoam cone or balls stacked smallest to largest, covering completely. Tall, clear vases can be filled with gumballs, candies, fruit, etc. in your color. You can also wrap boxes in solid-color gift wrap and stack them as a reminder of the gifts we received from God (glue together to prevent tumbling).
- Tulle is cheap and plentiful in a rainbow of colors. Use it to drape swags around your table, tie bows on the four corners, tuck into baskets of goodies, etc. Battery-operated lights look heavenly wrapped it tulle: use them to wrap around bases of your centerpiece or string behind the tulle in the front of your table edge.
- Display your items (especially if you’re selling items as a fundraiser with the rainbow tea party) with some pizzazz. Colored plastic bowls, Chinese take-out gift boxes, even inverted frisbees can hold your items. Small, plastic storage totes come in every color imaginable. Tuck paper napkins your solid color down into baskets with matching bows.
Food and Drink
Luckily, fruits,veggies, and candies come in just about every color of the rainbow! Yellow offers lemons, squash, tomatoes, peppers. Purple gives you grapes, eggplant, berries, cabbage. Red can be found in strawberries, cherries, tomatoes. Black and blue are the tough ones, but a drop of food coloring added to a dish as well as candies can help get the creative juices flowing.
Keep an open mind as you peruse the produce section of the supermarket when planning your menu. Also, most cereals come in a multitude of color choices which makes cereal/marshmallow treats a snap. Cupcakes and cookies are easily colored with sprinkles and icing to match. Check the local craft supply store for colored chocolate melts, perfect for dipping pretzels, nuts, fruits, etc. as well as making chocolate pops with a plastic mold.
Tea can be offered in our pretty rainbow tea cups, either at your table or as part of the luncheon. Brew white tea and add a few drops of food coloring to match, or make ice cubes with little candy treats frozen inside (skittles work great) to match your theme. Even edible flowers can be frozen inside of ice cubes! Colored juices can be mixed with sparkling water or club soda to make punch, too (this is a good idea if you expect children).Don’t forget to have the entire team wear clothing to the Rainbow Tea Party in your color! Wear fun colored beads if you don’t have anything in the color – these can be found for just a few dollars at any party store.
We hope these ideas get you on your way to having a great day of fun and fellowship at your Rainbow Tea Party!
Blessings to all ~ Tea Party Treasures